Monday, January 22, 2007

Highlands School Joins the China Connection

Highlands School in Birmingham, Alabama (http://www.highlandsschool.org) recently decided to take part in the "China Connection" program through the National Association of Independent Schools (http://www.nais.org) . This program will allow Highlands School to interview and choose a Chinese teacher who will introduce the Chinese culture and Mandarin language to the students, preschool through eighth grade.

I am Kathryn Barr, the head of Highlands School. I am creating this blog to share this experience with you. I will be heading to China during April to learn more about the educational system in China and to interview teachers who are eager to come to the United States. I look forward to sharing the preparation for the trip, the actual trip, the selection of the teacher, and the year with Highlands' first Chinese teacher.

I have begun listening to Mandarin C.D.s trying to learn a little bit before the trip. I actually had an opportunity to say "good morning" and "thank you" in Mandarin this morning with a prospective family. I have been studying a map of China and a book about China published by National Geographic.

I believe that if our students are going to "make a difference" in the world, they must be familiar with different languages and cultures. I am proud that Highlands School is taking this step!

No comments: