Monday, January 29, 2007

Where Do I Start?

Are any of you in the middle of several good books?

My bedside table is overflowing with books, and now I have taken over a counter in the kitchen with my "library." Perhaps, you have read some of them or would be interested in reading them. The simple ownership of each book tells me a story. Several are from my new email friend from Connecticut who shares my love of Asia. One is from a teacher I met while in Japan in 2005. Several are from a Highlands parent/trustee who shares my interest in the changing world. One is from the bookstore where my grandfather worked until its closing in 1969.

Here are some of the books:
Good to Great by Jim Collins
The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman
A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink

China Coast Family by John C. Caldwell (1953)
Lipo, The Chinese Poet "done into English verse by Shigeyoshi Obata" (1935)
Questions of Heaven, The Chinese Journeys of an American Buddhist by Gretel Ehrlich
The Importance of Living by Lin Yutang (1937)
Learning to Bow: Inside the Heart of Japan by Bruce Feiler
Preschool in Three Cultures: Japan, China, and the United States by Joseph J. Tobin et al

This is not an exhaustive list of books related to Asia!

You may be interested in reading more about Asia, but you wonder, "Where do I start?" I recommend you start with some children's books. If you are interested in seeing an excellent selection, check out the website http://www.asiastore.org/books-children-s.html . They have three of my favorites: 1 Grain of Rice, Sushi for Kids, and Zen Shorts.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading The World is Flat too, and it is teaching me so much. I suppose it was written from a business perspective, but it has so many applications to education.

Anonymous said...

"The World is Flat" is particularly well received in developing countries, such as China. Chinese version of this book is already available. I have run into many Chinese business people who have read this book. It is a great read (for any profession) to gain further appreciation on "globalization". Connie