Sunday, April 1, 2007

Eight More Days Until Takeoff!

I will leave for Beijing in eight days following a path from Birmingham to Detroit to Tokyo and finally to Beijing. The total amount of time of the trip is 25 hours! It is hard to imagine being en route for that long, but with the adrenaline, some good books and movies, and sleep, the trip will pass quickly, I predict. Highlands School is one of eight to have this opportunity this year. The others come from as close as Nashville, Tennessee and as far away as Maine. I look forward to getting to know the other heads of school as well as Paul Miller from NAIS.

I finished some tasks yesterday -- getting cash (I have heard the ATM machines sometimes work, and sometimes they don't), buying gifts (children's books with painted pictures of Alabama sites and books geared toward adults filled with beautiful pictures from Alabama; magnets of Elvis, hamburgers, and hot dogs), and the appropriate sized zip loc bags. I have one quart size bag for liquid toiletries and several two-gallon bags for clothes. I have packed some of my non-wrinkly clothes into these bags with dryer sheets. I have packed everything into a garment bag and will have a mostly empty carry-on bag with books, magazines, protein bars, a change of clothes (just in case my luggage gets lost) and toiletries. My purse will hold my laptop. I like to pack lightly, and I hope I have accomplished this!

Our two destinations will be Beijing and Shanghai. We will visit schools as well as cultural sites. I look forward to meeting people in Hanban as well as people who work in the educational system in China.

I plan on keeping this blog up to date as best I can over the next three weeks! I look forward to sharing pictures of China!

No comments: